A Frame Builder, that can be used as bases for Doors and Windows

I used geometry generation to make a frame builder

It uses the frame’s Y to define the thickness of the Frame.

2021-11-17_16-57-41-1_SparkVideo

1 Like

Awesome! That’s the sort of thing. You’re really getting the hang of this quickly aren’t you. :smiley:

:bulb: Tip: Check out the Frame.Shrink operator for making that graph a little simpler.
:bulb: Tip: Oh, and there’s a Frame.Dimensions operator for getting the XYZ straight away as floats.
:bulb: Tip: Oh, oh, and the UV.Scale operator will behave the same if you use just one, applied after the Merge, it’s purely a numerical multiplier on all UV values on the verts. (oh, you have different scales, of course, so you can at least do it for the four corner pieces.)

1 Like

I tried adjusting th UV rotations with FrameMapping but I couldn’t quite get it to work.

Are other projection mapping nodes planned? Cube, cylinder, sphere, etc?

Also

In couldn’t find a way to apply different materials to meshes that come from my resource list.

Ideally I’d be able to procedurally put a custom mesh down and assign a different material or material instance from the resource list to the whole mesh or to a specific material channel

Frame mapping is using a frame in space to apply a planar projection mapping to the mesh (in the XY of the frame). At the moment no, no other mappings.

There’s a Material node in Modelling that takes an ID you can get from a Resource Resolve pointing at a material resource. Or do you mean apply the material to a mesh being placed? No, you can’t do that easily, the material resources are meant for generated geometry.

Something that I’m thinking about and may implement in the future. You can always pass parameters to a placed blueprint, but it won’t know what to do with a resolved ID so you’d need to handle that in the Blueprint, e.g. refer by name and look up the material resource, instance it, and assign it, etc. Messy to say the least. There might be other ways, but not straightforward.

It’s not a huge issue and its a constraint that can be designed around.

It’s also probably easier to enforce consistency within the resource libraries.

Shrink is really cool. Rebuilt the graph using, useful to get the middle panes and the frames.

Still using Y as the parameter that defines the thickness of the frame.

Shrink_SparkVideo

Next, I’ll be looking at the Stacking Splitter to put window dividers.

1 Like

The Stacker.Splitter/Merger is a powerful one that can be a bit daunting at first, but there’s a detailed breakdown of how to use it in the Concepts Manual. A tip is to use the spacer slot for the objects you are placing if they are fixed size instead of the object slot (which adjusts to fit). You can then also turn on/off having end objects with the Stacker.Options flags.

1 Like

I’m adding some interactive booths to the Examples project to visually demo operators. Got these three as my test case so far. :slight_smile:

That’s a pretty cool way to showcase it.

Out of curiosity. what was the line of thought here? I feel like Object would be the thing you’d prefer to have fixed, and spacer the filler that should scale.

Thanks for the tip though, without it I would have had a hard time figuring the behavior out.

Laying bricks; your mortar (spacer) wants to be constant width and your bricks (objects) can stretch a little without too much issue. Same goes for building walls from alternating panels and pillars.

The frame builder evolved into a house builder. All geometry-based (roof is using the Taper node)

house_SparkVideo

3 Likes

OMG, certainly going for it now! :star_struck: (reminds me of my Fable house builder, I should update it to use Unreal materials, etc :thinking:)

BTW, your social media posts have been great, thanks for that, I should have mentioned in the intro email that posting anything about the beta is fine. :+1: I might do a follow-up email (1 week today!).

Update

building

1 Like