Input field friction

I find quite a bit of friction trying to clear values on input fields. For the searches on the left, there’s the toggle Filter button, though I find it a bit strange to toggle off and then type something new in, it does work OK.

For the other fields, eg something like this in properties:

11015_Apparance.Editor

I find myself often needing to clear the field back to 0. Unreal does this by a reset button next to inputs. Double clicking on those numbers will select only the numbers after the decimal point (and shows only the right-most numbers, even after changing the value with the horizontal scroll). This is annoying as pressing backspace then leaves you with the whole numbers…

11016_Apparance.Editor
11017_Apparance.Editor

So instead I press ctrl+A, though as it’s context sensitive to where the cursor is, it took me a little while to get used to not selecting all the nodes when doing this.

Possible solutions:
Allowing double click to select the entire entry. Unreal selects all but the - sign if included, which is handy.
An [x] to clear button next to entry fields, to reset them.

The default WPF TextBox control behaviour is a bit lacking in usability and I haven’t had time to address it. These are fair comments. Might say this is a bug TBH.

Thanks, there are a few other QoL WPF tweaks that I wonder about, they are related frictions but let me know if they require their own posts:
Pressing enter to confirm inputs sends user to the next control, requiring shift-tab to be pressed each time, as I’m sure you’re aware :smile:

I do this enough that when swtiching to say, changing unreal BP/shader variables I find myself accidentally pressing shift-tab constantly.

The other is the “constraints” applying when tabbing through values on the right panel. Typing 15 then tabbing to the second value will cap it to 10. Not sure if this is by design, but so far it’s just been an annoyance.

Yeah, that annoys me too. Not sure how easy to fix, but should be really. I suppose it’s the loss of focus on the 10 that causes the value to be validated against the ‘new’ value, hmmm…